As well as being atmospheric, fireplaces and chimneys are first and foremost ventilation systems that allow smoke, toxins and dangerous fumes to escape your home. Over time, creosote, a black, sticky residue appears on the inside of your chimney when wood is burned or when there isn’t enough ventilation. Regular cleaning removes this and helps prevent dangerous fires and improves the efficiency of some appliances, which will save you money on fuel!
We provide chimney sweeps for open fires, gas, wood burning and multifuel stoves.
Why do chimneys need sweeping?
- To improve the efficiency of smoke being drawn up the chimney
- To remove birds nest, soot, cobwebs and any other blockages
- To prevent chimney fires
How often should chimneys be swept?
- Smokeless fuel – at least once a year
- Wood – quarterly if being used frequently
- Oil – once a year
- Gas – once a year
What does a chimney sweep involve?
- We will visually inspect the flue – occasionally we will carry out a CCTV survey to check for any blockages or suspected smoke leakages.
- Dust sheets will be used to protect the fireplace area and surrounding area. Occasionally furniture will need to be moved.
- The chimney will be swept. A hover is used to capture soot and dust as it is swept from the flue.
- Once the chimney has been swept, a smoke test will be carried out to ensure the flue is drawing correctly and there is no smoke leakage.
How can we help
We are associates of the national chimney sweep and can provide chimney sweeps for residential and commercial properties in London, Surrey and some surrounding bordering counties – get in contact for a quote today!